Monday, October 17, 2011

What is the best way to handle rehab?

My mother has been in the hospital for the past week.  It started with 2 falls which caused me to say she needed to be taken to the ER.  The hospital decided to keep her for observation and found pneumonia and began treating that.  While treating her for dehydration, she began to retain fluid which caused her to have great difficulty breathing.  She was wearing an oxygen mask when I brought my father in to see her.

Now, she is finally ready for discharge but the hospital REALLY, REALLY wants her to go to a sub-acute rehab facility.  The problem with that for me is that I saw firsthand how poor the care is in them last year with my father and I would prefer that she go back to the apartment and get the needed care there.

I think she will do much better there because:
-my father will be there and that will help her emotionally
-the aide can watch her more closely than people in an institution can
-PT and OT can come to the apartment and give her concentrated care

After I started to make the arrangements with the home health group we currently work with, a representative from my parents' insurance company called to say she could provide short-term rehab care at no cost to the family.  How did she know about the situation?  The hospital contacted her about our intentions.

I explained my reservations and asked her for other suggestions for facilities in the area.  She named one that was relatively close-by that had an agreement with the insurance company.  The problem was that when I tried to research the company, I couldn't find a facility website and the websites that evaluated facilities in the area didn't have good things to say about it.

We currently have an aide coming in for 5 hours a day during the week and 3 on the weekends.  My plan is to increase the hours during the week to 10-not sure about the weekends yet.  Because the home health service will now be caring for both of my parents, the next increase will be $8/hr-but, of course, we would also be doubling the daily hours.  I think it's worth it in the short-term if it helps her get better faster.

In addition, since the aide will be caring for both, she will be able to take them to doctor's appointments.  She has been doing this for me already but I always have to be careful about the appointment times because her hours are so limited.

No comments:

Post a Comment